Weekend at the Cabin
Mike insisted we go to the cabin for Father’s Day weekend. I had had a breakdown from too much going on and I just didn’t want to add another plan to the already crazy schedule we’ve had. So I insisted we not go. He insisted back that it would be a relaxing retreat. I insisted it wouldn’t be and was just very negative about the whole idea. But I usually put up a fuss about things before I cave in and think it’s just not worth arguing over it all.
We went to the cabin. And it was definitely relaxing.
Mike… you were right.
It takes 2 hours to drive there and Ron was already there getting stuff done, so Judy drove with us. We had a great time, as you can see.
The weather was spectacular. We went from 105 degree weather to a beautiful breezy 85. Felt so good. The kids rode the razors and found bones not too far off.
Isaac learned to drive the razor all by himself. Crazy huh.
Kallie had a great time lining these babies up. She just loves organizing. EWWWW!
Kallie got a chance to drive the razor on Daddy’s lap. She can’t quite reach the pedals yet.
The guys did some manly-man stuff like cutting the dead branches off all the pine trees surrounding the cabin.
The kids loved that they were now good climbing trees.
Mike definitely gets his hard work ethic and energy from his mama. Every second, I’d turn and see her starting a new project, while I guiltily SAT back and watched and snapped pictures.
The kids and I went out for a hike right by the cabin, to see what fun things we could find and bring back. They discovered obsidian rock which is formed from the lava flow from a volcanic eruption. Yeah. Kids were obsessed once they saw how much was out there and wanted to bring it all back with them. We were so glad Grandma came along in her razor and carried it all back with her on it. Then they wanted to wash all their rocks and form them into Indian arrowheads.
That’s the kind of fun you have at a cabin in the woods. Love it.
Isaac and I were very excited to show off our heart rock discoveries.
Dagen wanted me to take care of this spider she noticed by the door. “Kill it, Mommy. It’s gross and scary.”
The kids played Twister and Ron got creative in calling out some new moves.
Isaac helped Grandma shuck some corn.
Mike was diggin’ his parents binoculars.
The kids shot some cans and targets, Grandpa and Daddy set up for them.
Dagen just hung out. She was content just playing in the dirt and watching everyone else.
THIS is my most favorite spot. The kids don’t really hang out on this side of the cabin so I’d sneak away from all the noise and just read and slowly rock, taking in the sounds of nature and the beauty of it all. Just breathtaking.
While I was sitting in my secret place, I could hear Ron, Mike, and Isaac playing some horseshoe. Judy and I joined in a bit later. So fun.
This was some of the busy work I’d find Judy doing. Homemade cheesecake. She also made homemade apple cobbler for another night. Yummmm.
Sunday morning came. Father’s Day. The kids were dying to show their Daddy their surprises. Mike is the best Dad in the world. He just loves these guys to pieces and is always there for them.
Isaac splurged to get his Daddy and Grandpa shirts with his own money. He picked these out himself.
It was really neat to celebrate Father’s Day with Ron. Talk about an unselfish amazing Dad and Grandpa. We love Ron so much. Grateful for his good example and all that he does for his family.
Then came a huge toolbox and foot stuff from Judy.
Here are close-ups of the kids cards.
Kallie’s to Grandpa:
Isaac’s to Grandpa:
Jaidyn’s to Grandpa, along with a few coupons:
Isaac’s to Mike:
Kallie’s to Mike:
Jaidyn’s to Daddy, along with a few coupons:
Dagen’s to Mike:
Later that night we used Ron’s Father’s Day gift we gave him last year. Yep… a slingshot. This years gift was a set of huge Nerf guns to shoot around at each other at the cabin. These were Mike’s ideas. I think I’ll go out next year and choose the gift. hahahaha Actually, the huge slingshot was really fun to play with. One of my most favorite things we did. We started out slinging water balloons.
You can see the balloon just to the left of the tree.
Not sure whose idea it was, but we then started slinging eggs.
…lot’s of eggs.
| |
No comments:
Post a Comment