A New Member of Our Family
Ok. So, I know you’re wondering how the heck could something like this happen… since you know I have allergies to all dogs, cats, rabbits, pretty much anything cute you’d want for a pet. But as we were going to the pet store to get dead mice for Mike to feed Bob, the kids were oohing and ahhing over this little hamster called a fancy hamster. And Mike looks over to me after they were holding it and loving it, and mouthed, “What do you think?”
To which I responded with big eyes and a crazy look like, “Are you crazy, Mike? Really?”
But everyone knows I’m a sucker. I can be easily convinced to do crazy things by my dear husband and kids who have been dying their WHOLE lives for a real pet… a cute furry pet, not the lizards, frogs, the fish, and the stranded pigeon in our backyard, and the stranded baby squirrel we found at the park, that we’ve taken in as pets in the past. But wait… wasn’t Simon, our squirrel, cute and furry. Wait a minute here.
I was duped!
(forgive me for the blurry pictures my cell phone takes.)
Our new pet hamster came home in a nice box like this. You could hear her scurrying around inside and trying to chew her way out.
On the way home, the kids all had suggestions for naming the hamster.
Isaac- Bella
Dagen- hamster
Kallie- Bow
Jaidyn- Bonnie
We settled for the name Bella. We tried it out when we got home and we all thought it fit her perfectly.
It took Mike about an hour to put her flimsy cage together. It just did NOT want to stay together! We were tempted to return the dang thing and try something else. But it worked out.
By the time the cage was ready to go, Bella had chewed a pretty good hole through one corner. Can you see it?
The kids loved the little block wood chews we got for her.
And the pet store lady gave explicit directions NOT TO HOLD THE HAMSTER FOR 3 DAYS until it got used to it’s new environment and the sounds and smells. Hamsters will bite from fear. But Mike has a hard time following little directions like this. I give him a hard time about it. “Why do you think your above the law honey?”
His response: “Oh honey, it’s ok.”
So the kids held her the very minute we got her out of the cardboard box.
And then IT happened.
“I told you so.” hahahaha
I guess it wasn’t while she was holding her.
Dagen had stuck her finger in between the gaps in the cage and CHOMP, the hamster bit her. I thought it was going to be a little nibble, until I took a look at it and it was bleeding pretty badly. In fact, the bleeding stopped when covered up, but as soon as you let go it was dripping again. I mean dripping! So I freaked. I always freak. Mike gives me this psycho look and whispers, “Calm down, Mel. It’s O..k.” And that’s how it usually goes when there’s a spider in the house, or any kind of bug and I freak out, needless to say, my kids freak out the same as me. And Mike doesn’t want the kids to be scared of everything. Hmmm.
…Well, at least I don’t faint at the sight of blood.
HA!
And I guess I’m not allergic to hamsters!
1 comment:
I love how excited everyone is at the pet store. You can totally see the happiness on their faces.
Post a Comment