Wednesday, September 8, 2010

1st Day of

School

Labor Day, after getting back from camping, we cleaned up the house, washed the cars, went to the kids’ new school building and met the teachers, did last minute school shopping (new shoes), and then went and celebrated the end of the summer and beginning of a new year at Applebee’s.  All the kids got Oreo shakes there for dessert. 

I have to be honest here.  I got really choked up walking through their new building and seeing my baby Kallie meet her teacher.  I can’t believe she’s a kindergartner now!  Sniff, sniff.  Seeing her sit at her desk, I got all choked up and teary eyed.  Later at Applebees, I looked over at my baby Kallie and told her how choked up I got back at her school, and I cried AGAIN!  The tears flowed down this time and I was very embarrassed sitting in the middle of Applebees with the kids asking me what’s wrong and Mike staring at me with this endearing face of “honey, are you ok?” 

It was a hard thing to take in, but my baby IS getting older and I am going to have to come to terms with this concept someday. 

Jaidyn is starting 4th grade, Isaac is starting 2nd, and baby Kallie is in kindergarten.  Wow.  Where has the time gone?

(sidenote)  Remember the lizard Jaidyn caught camping?

IMG_9170

Well Mike had forgotten the lizard was inside the container and put it inside our car along with all the other camping stuff, but he placed the container on its side, not knowing the lid popped off.  So driving home, all I could think about was that there was a lizard crawling around inside our car!  It turns out, that after emptying the car of everything and after Mike had done a thorough cleaning inside and out of my car (Mike does a serious job of detailing and washing my car), the lizard wasn’t seen until we were getting into the car after eating at Applebees.  We through it out and let it go into it’s new environment… 

a busy parking lot.  :(

We got home around 7:30 (later than I wanted for the night before school) and after the kids got ready for bed, Mike gave all the kids father’s blessings, including little Dagen, since she was going to start a little joy school this year. 

I woke the kids bright and early at 6am yesterday.  Lately the kids have been waking around 7am, so this was quite a bit earlier than usual. 

I posted these downstairs in the kitchen and one in Isaac’s bathroom, and one in the girls’ bathroom.  I forgot to squeeze in their chore after the brushing teeth part, but this is the morning routine and they know it well and it’s working out great!  I never have to remind them of anything.

IMG_9272

Dagen carried around her lunch box all morning, just like her big sisters and brother.

IMG_9255 IMG_9256 IMG_9257 IMG_9258 IMG_9259

Jaidyn insisted that this year she would have a big girl backpack that goes over one shoulder.  And she wanted the Let it Rock! one with the peace sign on it, ‘cause peace signs are “cool.”

She chose some plaid shoes that were “just like” her plaid backpack.

IMG_9261

Kallie got a not so childish backpack, it being black, yet childish enough with the fairy on it.

IMG_9262

And here we have Isaac, sportin’ a very handsome, very rugged and adventurous backpack and water bottle.

IMG_9263

Jaidyn and Lydia were so excited to see each other.  It had been a long summer apart.  They were dear friends last year.

IMG_9264

The line going into the classrooms were crazy long.  We waited patiently.  I had in mind to get the much loved “child in front of his/ her desk pic” and the “child with his/her teacher pic” for each of my kids, but things didn’t go as planned. 

Classes had already begun for both Isaac and Jaidyn, so Kallie was the only one whose door was still open and I could sneak in the desk picture I so wanted. 

The teacher one will just have to wait, I guess. :(

IMG_9265IMG_9266IMG_9267IMG_9268IMG_9269IMG_9271

Mike had to leave soon after, and Dagen and I had to make our way through an insane crowd into the principal’s office, so I could turn in Kallie’s birth certificate and immunization record.

It was so weird to walk back to my car with only Dagen.  This is the first time having only one child home with me.  All day Dagen kept saying, “I want Kallie come home!  I want Kallie come home!”

My heart broke again.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Jaidyn looks so grown up all of a sudden! I love your morning routine chart for the kids - great idea!

Susan said...

Jaidyn really does look all grown up! Your kids are all so good lookin! I can't believe you only have one little one at home now... time does fly!