Thursday, September 23, 2010

Embarrassed

When the kids get home, they know they first need to wash hands, empty their backpacks out, place their papers in a neat pile on the kitchen counter for me to see, then change out of their uniforms. 

As I was emptying out their lunch boxes, I came upon the note I put in Jaidyn’s lunch. 

“Jaidyn, did you like the kiss I sent you in your lunch today?”

(turning bright red) “Yea….  Well, noooo.”

“What!  Why not?”

“It’s just… I was so embarrassed!  All the kids saw me pull it out and they all gave me a look.  Like… okayyy?  And they giggled.  Even Keaton was sitting next to me and giggled.”

(laughing) “Jaidyn, I put that in there to let you know I love you.” 

“I know.  But don’t kiss the paper next time.  People thought that was weird.”

(hmmm. yeah, she’s right) “Ok.  You should’ve just looked at them and said, “What.  So my mom loves me.  Whats the problem?  Where’s a note from your mom?  Doesn’t your mom love you?”

“That wouldn’t be nice, Mommy.  You know that.  I wouldn’t say that.”

(hmmm.  yeah, she’s right again) 

“Well, yeah, that wouldn’t be nice, huh.  Ok.  Well next time, just say, “What.  So my mom loves me.”  and then they can’t say anything back to you if you are confident and don’t act all embarrassed by it.  They won’t tease you if they see you aren’t bugged by it.”

“Yeah.”

“How ‘bout tomorrow I kiss an index card like 10 times and put it in your lunch to show you I really, REALLY love you.”

“Nooo.  You can’t Mommy.  Promise.  Promise you won’t.”

“Ok, ok.  I was just kidding.”

IMG_9553

No comments: