My Bright
idea…
(hope it works)
I am tired of the attitudes from my kids. The crying, the whining, the moping, the sighs, the complaining… you know what I mean. It’s not like that all the time, of ‘course, but it’s getting to be more frequent. SO… I came up with this.
We were holding family home evening last Monday and I was in charge of the lesson. So I came up with a few examples and had the kids one at a time, act out a bad attitude and then a good attitude to the situation given. They loved it!
Isaac went up first and I told him, “Isaac, you need to get your chore done and your homework BEFORE you can go play outside.” He then acted out a bad attitude and then changed it to a good attitude, saying, “Yes, Mommy.”
When we were done with all the examples, I told them that I made a behavior chart. They need to get 20 happy faces to get a prize. They can choose from the 5 prizes listed. To get a happy face, you must say, “Yes, Mommy.” in a nice tone followed by a good attitude when I’ve asked them to do something. They loved the idea. They loved the prizes. We were all excited to see how this would turn out.
And since then, it has really worked! The kids are recognizing their negative attitudes and trying hard to get those happy faces. Jaidyn wants the prize of staying up an hour later than bedtime, and Kallie wants the same. Isaac however is obsessed with Jamba Juice, ever since he got a gift card from Aunt Kristin on his birthday.
2 comments:
Mel what a great idea and F.H.E. We could really use some help in our house too with attitude. We have done sticker charts for chores and good behavior but I like the attitude idea. I might just steal it from you:) You are a great mom!
Hey we have one of those!!! AND it works really well. We've been doing it for years but every now and than we get lazy and back off a bit. Last Monday for FHE we revamped it AND made a daily chore chart as well. We have morning, after school and nightly chores and my house has sparkled all week! :)
Post a Comment